There are many opportunities for individuals to volunteer with Homes First. There are several working committees that often need help. Admin and clerical support is always welcome. Groups can host a meal, movie night or a workshop for residents at the shelter. Or you can organize an event or fundraising activity (i.e. a garage sale, dinner party, raffle, auction) for Homes First; we’ll even help. Have an idea? Want to help? Get in touch!
Interested in volunteering?
Interested in joining our Board of Directors?
Download our Recruitment Posting here, and reach out to us today!
Donate Your Stuff
It takes a lot to rebuild a life. Not only do you need a safe, stable home, but you need things to put in that home. For many residents, budgets are tight and essentials, like personal hygiene items or home goods like cookware, are a luxury they can’t afford. Help us support these residents by donating the items below or creating your own Personal Care or Home Starter Kit to donate!
The following items are always needed.
- Food (fresh and non-perishable)
- Pots and pans, dishes and utensils (new or gently used)
- New pillows, bedding (sheets) and blankets
- TTC tokens
Personal Care Kits:
- Disposable razor
- Shaving cream
- 2 in 1 Shampoo/Conditioner
- Toothbrush cover
- Bar soap or body wash
- New washcloth
- Dental floss
Home Starter Kit:
- 1 set of pots
- 1 set of single bed sheets
- 1 blanket
- 1 set of dishes (4 place setting)
- 4 mugs
- 4 juice glasses
- Set of tea towels and dishcloths
- 1 set of utensils
- 1 non-stick fry pan
- Set of wooden spoons, tongs & spatula
- Packed in a laundry basket
Gift in Honor/Memory
You can designate your gift in Memory of a loved one or in Honor of a special occasion may be given directly online or mailed to:
90 Shuter Street 2nd Floor
Toronto, ON M5B 2K6.
If you wish us to mail a card in Honor or Memory, please provide the mailing information. For more information call 416-395-0203.
An in-memory gift is a special way to honour someone who is no longer with us, while at the same time helping others. It is a positive way to make the memory of a friend or a loved one last and let family members know that they are in your thoughts.
Making an in Memorial donation takes only a few clicks and we can send an e-card on your behalf acknowledging your caring gift.
- Income tax receipts will be issued for donations of $10 or more unless requested.
- Please note that unless indicated by you, all donations made will be recognized in the Annual Report donor listings and website donor scroll.
Get Employees Involved
Business and Employee Engagement
Our corporate partners get a real buzz from seeing the difference their support makes to the lives of those experiencing homelessness.
Companies can match the amount of money that an employee raises for a charity. When a company or organization matches an individual’s gift the willingness, frequency and amount of giving goes up. This doubles the impact the employees gift and inspires respect for the matching institution.
Or make a company donation to recognize volunteer hours.
- If you have a company newsletter or intranet, you could write an article to prompt donors.
- Arrange a company social and ask everyone to make a donation.
- Organise a dress down day at work – this could be fancy dress or just jeans, whatever you decide!
- Many offices hold a raffle in aid of Homes First which is an easy and fun way to raise money in the office!
Promotion of Employee Giving
An organization’s philanthropic support is often enhanced by involving its employees. Homes First offers a monthly giving program called the Home Builders. This fund helps our residents slowly rebuild their lives so that one day they can move into the community and become contributing members. Employees join our Home Builders program by agreeing to give just $10 or $20 per month directly from their chequing account or as a payroll-deduction. A small amount that most people don’t even notice adds up to thousands of dollars in program support over the year.